If your bags do not arrive at your destination or they arrive damaged, please report this to the baggage service counter in the terminal and we will make every reasonable effort to help you.
Claims and Lawsuit
Claims on damaged bags must be reported to Air China in writing within 7 days of receiving the checked bag.
Claims on delayed bags must be reported to Air China in writing within 21 days of receiving the checked bags.
Lawsuits must be settled within two years from the date the plane arrived at the destination, should have arrived at the destination, or the date the flight was terminated, otherwise the lawsuit shall be abandoned.
- If checked baggage is damaged or lost, the compensation should be less than RMB100 (or equivalent currency) per one (1) kilogram (2.2 lbs). If the baggage is worth less than RMB100 (or equivalent currency) per kilogram (2.2 lbs), it should be compensated according to actual value.
- If checked baggage is damaged, it should be compensated according to the depreciated value of the baggage or the repair cost of the baggage.
- For flights qualifying the Warsaw Convention, the baggage compensation limit is 17 SDR* per kilogram. If the actual damage of the baggage is valued less than the limit, you will be compensated according to the actual damage. The baggage compensation limit for unchecked baggage is 332 SDR*.
- For flights qualifying under the international transportation policies of the Montreal Convention, the baggage compensation limit is 30 USD (or equivalent currencies) per kilogram. If the actual damage to the baggage is valued less than the limit, it should be compensated according to the actual damage. The baggage compensation limit for checked and unchecked baggage is 1,131 SDR* providing that proof is presented.
- If the weight of the baggage cannot be confirmed, the compensation will be made according to the free baggage allowance entitled per class of service.
- The one-time compensation for baggage delays are RMB300 (or equivalent currency) for Economy Class, RMB400 (or equivalent currency) for Business Class and RMB500 (or equivalent currency) for First Class.
- Baggage compensation shall be confirmed according to related regulations of baggage transportation for Air China.
- If your baggage is insured, we can provide you related documents to make a claim with your insurance company.
*SDR (Special Drawing Right) refers to the artificial currency unit created by the INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND. One (1) SDR represents an equivalent of approximately US $1.37 and the exchange rate may fluctuate.