For domestic flights and international flights excluding US, Canada, and Brazil routes
Checked baggage is defined as the baggage that passengers may check-in with Air China to be transported to the flight destination. A baggage tag should be issued by Air China for each checked bag.
Free checked baggage allowance for Economy Class
Each adult or child passenger is allowed to check in up to 20 kg (44 lbs) of baggage for free.
Free checked baggage allowance for First and Business Class
Each adult or child passenger is allowed to check in free of charge up to 40 kg (88 lbs) of baggage for First Class, and 30 kg (66 lbs) for Business Class.
Free checked baggage allowance for Platinum Card Members
In addition to the free baggage allowance, Platinum Card Members are entitled to check in an additional 30 kg (66 lbs) of baggage free of charge, regardless of the travel class purchased.
Free checked baggage allowance for Gold Card Members
In addition to the free baggage allowance, Gold Card Members are entitled to check in an additional 20 kg (44 lbs) of baggage free of charge, regardless of the travel class purchased.
Free checked baggage allowance for Silver Card Members
In addition to the free baggage allowance, Silver Card Members are entitled to check in an additional 20 kg (44 lbs) of baggage free of charge, regardless of the travel class purchased.
Free checked baggage allowance for Infant Fare purchased at 10% of the Adult Fare
- Each passenger is allowed to check in up to 10 kg (22 lbs) of baggage for free.
- If space permits and approval has been obtained from the chief steward, a collapsible pram or cradle may be permitted to be brought into the cabin.
Oversized and Overweight Baggage
For any luggage exceeding the weight limit, a 1.5% surcharge will be charged on each additional kilogram. This fee will be calculated based on an adult fare, single trip, direct flight, Economy Class (Y Class) ticket. If there is no published fare available, an alternative calculation method will be used.
Size and Weight Allowances for Checked Baggage
- For international or regional flights, each piece of checked baggage must not exceed 32 kg (70 lbs). For international or regional flights with connecting domestic flights, each piece of checked baggage must not exceed 32 kg (70 lbs). For domestic flights, each piece of checked baggage must not exceed 50 kg (110 lbs).
- The length, width and height of each piece of checked baggage must not exceed 100 cm x 60 cm x 40 cm (39 in x 23 in x 15 in). Oversized or overweight baggage will be shipped as cargo.
- The weight of each piece of checked baggage must not be less than 2 kg (4.4 lbs) and its length, width and height must not be less than 30 cm x 20 cm x 10 cm (11 in x 7 in x 4 in).
Packaging of Checked Baggage
All checked baggage must be properly packaged, have the ability to sustain a certain pressure and can be safely loaded and transported under normal operations. It should meet the following conditions:
- A. Suitcases, bags, and handbags should be safely locked to prevent loss of articles.
- B. Packages must not be bundled together as one piece, regardless of the quantity.
- C. No extra items must be attached to the baggage.
- D. Baskets, string bags, ropes, straw bags, and plastic bags may not be used to wrap the baggage.
- E. The name, full address and contact number of the passenger must be clearly marked both inside and outside of the baggage.
Items that should not be placed in Checked Baggage
The following items should not be included in your checked baggage. In the event of any loss or damage, Air China will compensate according to the general checked baggage policies.
Cash, securities, jewelry, precious metals and articles, antiques, scripts and paintings, computers, personal electronic items, samples, and other valuable objects, fragile or delicate items, perishable goods, lithium batteries, important documents or materials, travel documentation and personal medication.
Regardless of the actual size, the following objects can be treated as luggage if total length of three sides is less than 158cm:
- Sleeping bag or bedroll
- Rucksack, knapsack, backpack
- Snowboard/Ski equipment - A ski bag containing one pair of skis/one snowboard and poles. A boot bag containing one pair of ski boots.
- Golf equipment - Golf bag containing golf clubs and one pair of golf shoes
- Duffle-type bag or a type 22 bag
- Bicycle - Single seat touring or racing bicycle, non-motorized packed properly with handlebars turned sideways and pedals are removed
- Standard water surfboard, wake board or pair of standard water skis
- Fishing equipment - Properly packed equipment containing not more than two fishing rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of fishing boots and one tackle box
- Sporting firearms- one rifle case containing not more than 2 rifles, 5kg (11 lbs) of ammunition, one shooting mat, a noise suppressor and small rifle tools, or two shotguns and two shotgun cases, or one pistol case containing not more than 5 pistols, 5kg (11 lbs) of ammunition, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools. Acceptability of such firearms shall be subject to the carrier's conditions
- Musical instruments not exceeding 100cm (39 inches) in length