Please contact Air China at least 72 hours before the flight departure if stretcher service is needed. To apply for a stretcher, please have a medical certificate from the hospital and fill out a Special Passenger Application form. In order to ensure sufficient time for completing check-in procedures, please arrive at the airport at least two hours before departure. For the security of the flight, only one stretcher is allowed for each flight and each segment. Please note that Air China will make the decision whether to accept a stretcher passenger.
Please contact Air China at least 24 hours before the flight departure if a wheelchair is needed. In order to ensure sufficient time for completing check-in procedures, please arrive at the airport at least two hours before departure.
WCHR refers to wheelchairs provided to passengers who are able to board and disembark aircraft independently, walk to their seats in the cabin and require assistance only between terminal buildings, tarmac and aircraft.
Applicants for WCHR please register with the ticketing office of Air China (including sales agents) within the prescribed time limit:
- For US flights, please apply no later than 48 hours before scheduled flight departure.
- For international and regional flights other than the US, please apply no later than 72 hours before scheduled flight departure.
- For domestic flights in China, please apply no later than 24 hours before scheduled flight departure.
Both manual and electronic wheelchairs are transported as checked baggage. They qualify as free checked-baggage so they are not included in baggage allowance limits. If a wheelchair is needed during check-in and has been given the consent of Air China, it will be delivered at the departure gate before boarding.
If an electronic wheelchair is checked, the packing should be as follows:
- Wheelchair with leak-proof battery ¨C Ensure the battery does not have a short circuit and it should be securely installed on the wheelchair.
- Wheelchair without leak-proof battery ¨C The battery should not be installed on the wheelchair and should have protective packaging. It should be leak-proof and fixed with a belt, fixture or bracket on the pallet or in the cargo compartment. Ensure the battery does not have a short circuit and it is filled with suitable absorption material to absorb any leaked liquid.
- The packing will be marked as either ¡°BATTERY, WET, WHEELCHAIR¡±, or ¡°BATTERY, WET, WITH MOBILITY AID¡±. Additional labels will be added saying ¡°CORROSIVE¡± and ¡°UPWARD¡±.
Blind and Deaf Passengers
We will do our best to help blind and deaf passengers traveling alone, but they should be able to walk, take care of himself/herself and communicate with the attendants. If not, then an escort should accompany him/her. Family members and escorts should do their best to help with check-in and arrival.